Will you be hosting a Burns Night Supper!? Well we have just the snack and appetiser for you – what better than a Scotch Egg – and a Haggis one at that!
We love Jamie Oliver’s recipe, which is super tasty! Go on, give it a go!
6 medium eggs 200g pork sausage meat or 2 thick pork sausages 160g haggis, crumbled 1 tsp chopped parsley 40g plain flour A splash of milk 120g panko breadcrumbs 500ml vegetable oil
- Place 4 of the eggs in a pan of cold, salted water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8 minutes. Drain, then cool the eggs in cold water. Peel and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the sausage meat, haggis and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Divide into 4 and flatten out on a clean surface, shaping them into ovals 12cm long and 7cm at the widest point. Wrap one completely around each egg, ensuring the outside is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas
- Spread the flour over a tray, beat the remaining 2 eggs in a shallow dish with a splash of milk, and tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl. Dip each scotch egg in flour, then egg wash, then roll in the crumbs to coat. Repeat with the egg wash and the breadcrumbs, so that each egg is thickly coated.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until it reaches 180C. Deep-fry the scotch eggs for 2 minutes, until golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and drain on kitchen paper. Pop on a baking tray and bake for 8/10 minutes, until the meat is cooked. Cool and serve.
We also have a little extra treat in the form of some Burns Night themed cocktails – a perfect pairing to a Burns Night Supper. Aaron from luxury mobile bar company, Macc Event Bars shares his favourite two whiskey based cocktails that will leave you dancing a highland jig! (I vote the Highland Heather!)
- Egg White
- Pinot Noir
Goose & Berry are a Luxury Boutique Catering, Wedding, Event & Brand Experience Planning & Design company who specialise in Weddings, Social and Corporate Events. We are based in Marlow & London and cover London, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and the Home Counties.
Did you know we also Plan and Design Weddings and Events!