Perfect for a delicious afternoon treat!
- Serves 10
- 25 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp instant coffee powder
- 60g (2½oz) pecans, chopped
For the icing
- 500g (1lb) mascarpone
- 100g (3½oz) light muscovado sugar
- 4tbsp coffee liqueur. Tia Maria works well
- handful pecan halves (and coffee beans if you require), to decorate
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Butter 2 x 20cm (8in) loose-bottomed tins and line with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Then fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Mix the coffee powder with 1 tablespoon of hot water and fold into the cake mix, along with the chopped pecans.
- Divide and pour the cake mix between the two tins and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean and the surface of the cake is slightly springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Drizzle the flat side of one cake with a tablespoon of coffee liqueur.
- To make the icing, beat the mascarpone together with the sugar and the rest of the coffee liqueur until smooth. Sandwich the cooled cakes with the filling and then cover the top of the cake with the rest of the filling. Decorate as desired with the pecan halves and/or coffee beans.
Goose & Berry are a Luxury Boutique Event Catering company who specialise in weddings, social and corporate events. We are based in Marlow & London and cover London, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and the home counties.